Tuesday, May 22, 2007

I keep a personal blog of my fitness and life journey at www.fitfromfat.blogspot.com. Here is a copy and paste of my most recent post. I will also add the link to the left hand side of this page.....Mike Keller

Recovery Day / Karma Building

It has been my intention for a week or more now to go to a trail in the Gorge Metroparks and take some bags with me for picking up trash and recycling. Since I am recovering from the marathon anyways I made today the day, and roped in my daughters and mother in law to go there with me and help. Mostly they just kept me company and watched while I did the dirty work. My daughters watched and gave the appropriate "gross" and "ewwww" comments to the different items of refuse I would pick up.


There is one area in particular that I have always wanted to see cleaner where there is a waterfall and a cascading valley of boulders that leads down to the Cuyahoga River below. I think partly because the majority of the water forming the waterfall is runoff from the neighborhood above, and also because this is a very scenic portion of the trail with a footbridge, there has always been a lot of trash here. We separated our finds into trash and recycling bags so we could recycle some items instead of just throwing them out.

Now I didn't set out to be a one man crew cleaning up all the area metroparks...but I did hope that I could throw out the challenge to some of my trail friends who will read this....take a few empty bags on a run or hike...maybe think about it so your run or hike is ending near an area that you would like to see cleaned up, so you don't have to carry the full bags too long. Get back to me if you accept the challenge and let me know where/when you did it! Oh, and if you are a blogger friend, take pictures and blog it to show others!!!

www.fitfromfat.blogspot.com

No comments: